The 90th anniversary L.A. County Fair arrives Labor Day Weekend on Friday, August 31st and continues until Sunday, September 30th. The nation’s largest county fair promises 23 days of excitement for all by offering an eclectic mix of world-class concerts, educational, diverse and interactive exhibits, mouth-watering food, unique shopping, exciting horse racing, a thrilling carnival and a complete collection of arts, crafts and agriculture that will wow any guest.
With the L.A. County Fair located in Pomona, which many consider part of the Inland Empire, Riverside and San Bernardino residents have no excuse not to drive just a few miles to what is for most the closest county fair to these metro areas.
The 2012 lineup of fun includes:
- L.A. County Fair ‘s End of Summer Concert Serieshas 19 nights of grandstand entertainment—an eclectic concert lineup and monster trucks, high flying freestyle motocross competition and a wild demolition derby. Highlight acts include The Wanted, Carly Rae Jepsen, Karmin, Cobra Starship, The B-52′s, Boyz II Men, Charlie Daniels, Earth, Wind, and Fire.
- Guests can also sample award-winning wines and beers from the Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Marketplace. The fair offers no shortage of drinking options, with the recently added Beer Tavern becoming the official beer garden with numerous winning local brews from the Fair’s commercial beer competition. Plenty of wine tasting options are available for your wine lovers! A full review is offered online through PubClub, with the official info available through Fairplex. The winners of the Los Angeles International Commercial Beer Competition are online as well. See the pictures below for the full microbrew beer selection that will be available!
- Food Trucks will be rolling by every weekend! See the full schedule of food trucks.
- Sunday Night Chef Fight competitive cooking performance on Sunday, September 11th and 18th at the Cullinary Quatro
- Our Body: Live Healthy returns following a banner debut in 2010. This year the exhibition, featuring more than 50 actual human bodies and organs, will include samples of both healthy and diseased organs, with the aim to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- The Millard Sheets Center for the Arts, curated by Tony Sheets, presents “ECLECTIONS” The Art of Collection, a fascinating and detailed journey through the history of collections.
- Esmeralda’s Travelling Circus will be at the fair and boy do they have an amazing line up for everyone in attendance. If you love good family fun, then you don’t want to miss the circus!
- Guests are huge fans of food and shopping, and this year’s Fair delivers. New products join returning favorites and one-of-a-kind items. Also, the sight and aroma of specialty foods, healthy foods and traditional dining experience join an impressive variety of gourmet food trucks to offer a plethora of treats. From deep fried watermelon to hair feathers, the Fair has it all.
- Stingray Island, new to the Fair’s lineup, brings a tank filled with live stingrays, eels, and other sea creatures and an informative exhibit on sustainable seas life.
The L.A. County Fair opens Labor Day weekend and is closed subsequent Mondays and Tuesdays. Opening weekend hours are 10 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday. Hours for the remainder of the Fair are: Wednesdays-Fridays open at noon; Saturdays & Sundays open at 10 a.m. Closing on Wednesdays and Sundays is at 10 p.m.; Thursdays 11 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays close at midnight. Live thoroughbred horse racing at Fairplex Park runs Sept. 7 to 23, on Wednesdays – Sundays.
If you haven’t been to the fair recently, you’ll notice a change in the setup. The shopping that used to populate the area between the grandstands and the home and garden area has been converted into a playground of the hottest fair rides in the nation. This cuts down on walking and places all of the fair closer together. The shopping is now almost entirely indoors, so you can shop and check out exhibits in air conditioned halls.
Want to know 10 ways to save at the fair? The Fairplex put out their own list with plenty of free ways to get in that don’t involve jumping any gates or dressing up as a vendor! The rides at the L.A. County Fair are perhaps the best in the nation, so look out for those discounts to enjoy the best head-spinning adventures!
Visit lacountyfair.com for admission prices and promotions.Categories: Action Sports, Arts, Blues, Casual Dining & Fast Food, Classic Rock, Country Music, Cultural Music, Dessert, Electronic Music, Entertainment, Food, Food Trucks, Jazz Music, Karaoke, Late Night Food, Latin Music, Los Angeles, Music & Concerts, Performing Arts, Pomona, Pop Music, Rap & Hip-Hop, Reggae, Rock Music, Sports, The Inland Empire